[governance] IANA contract to be opened for competitive bidding on November 4

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Oct 25 11:39:52 EDT 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 11:20 , John Curran wrote:

> It's not inconceivable to phase out the unique USG role. If I had
> to make this happen, one possible approach would be the following:

All this is fine and probably doable, but in my opinion, not with the current ICANN (*). Since we don't have any other ICANN-like structure, what follows it is currently not doable at all.

Daniel

(*) While creating ICANN was great idea and although it still performs some very useful tasks (including among other things forcing people to visit new places), truth is, it does not behave. The board does what they want. The staff does what they want. Various working groups etc produce absurd results (even if their members are fine folk, with.. different views of the result. Someone apparently orchestrates all this chaos.

Unfortunately, ICANN is utterly lacking transparency and accountability.

If we need to get USG out of the picture, we need to fix ICANN first.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org