[governance] Internet origin (was: IANA contract to be opened for competitive bidding on November 4)

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Oct 24 15:07:20 EDT 2011

John, to answer your question, although I note the discussion has moved on -

I do not believe there is a satisfactory single answer, and I think Daniel¹s
and Bertrand¹s inputs give reasons why this is so. We are dealing with a
range of global activities all of which contributed to what we now know as
the Internet.

If I may quote from a recent private email from Charley Kline, who is widely
credited as being the first person to send a message on the Arpanet:  ³ the
reality is that no single person or even small group of people created the
Internet. We can debate who made the major contributions to concepts,
implementation, funding, etc.²

And that¹s a much wider story than we can account for here,,,(and a pretty
interesting one as well!)

Ian