[governance] IANA contract to be opened for competitive bidding on November 4

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Oct 24 14:59:00 EDT 2011

John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> I know that the multiple interacting agreements can be somewhat
> confusing at first, but they really do exist.

My main source of confusion, what caused me to think that perhaps
the US government is trying to take some authority back that it
had previously given away (I don't think this anymore) was that I
have read enough RFCs that in my mind the name "IANA" is very
strongly associated with what RFC 2860 is about, while the US
Government's concerns are probably mainly about the DNS root zone
(a topic that is explicitly excluded in RFC 2860). I was quite
aware that the US government had always wanted to retain some
control about that, I was just associating other topics with the
name "IANA".

> One pleasant side effect of this fact is that all of the parties
> need to work with each other in order to build consensus before
> taking action.

Good point! So the practical path towards a potential transfer of
the IANA function to another entity would presumably involve both
the US government and IAB agreeing about the new entity that it is
suitable.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org