[governance] IANA contract to be opened for competitive bidding on November 4

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Oct 24 10:03:02 EDT 2011

John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>    If someone can point out another organization (other than the USG)
>    which has been consciously releasing its control over the Internet in
>    preference to multistakeholder mechanisms, I'd love to hear about it.

I think the key question is whether this "IANA contract" event is
a continuation of that USG policy of "consciously releasing its control
over the Internet", or whether it is a change of policy aiming at
asserting and protecting some (greater?) degree of control, possibly
in reaction to demands to strengthen the UN role in Internet Governance.

RFC 2850 says the following:

   The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) administers various
   protocol parameters used by IETF protocols, delegating this
   administration as appropriate. The IAB must approve the appointment
   of an organization to act as IANA on behalf of the IETF. The IANA
   takes technical direction on IETF protocols from the IESG.

I understand this as an indication that eleven years ago when this was
written, IANA was seen as "acting on behalf of the IETF", not as
acting on behalf of the USG.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org