[governance] I think we debated this ~7 years ago, but it seems to have come up again...

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 09:28:39 EDT 2011

Dear Daniel Kalchev,

Cost would be a lesser consideration for the ISPs and bulk IP users in a
situation where an imaginary NIR in an imaginary country operates with
policies that makes it difficult for some users to obtain IP addresses - a
situation wherein a class of users are denied or delayed the allocation of
IP addresses for reasons other than monetary reasons.

The idea of alternate sources for IP addresses is to ensure that IP address
allocation does not get blocked by for any reason for those users who have a
need for IP addresses. In actual practice, the NIR may operate so well with
such fair practices that most of the bulk users and ISPs wouldn't have any
reason to choose the alternate source ( RIR ).

About the NIR's participation in the RIR's costs, I am sure that the NIRs
may agree on some form of NIR fee payable to the RIRs which would indeed
translate to a minuscule cost per IP address, which could be balanced by
charging a minimal fee for the addresses allotted.

Even with the provision to allow (without any bottlenecks) allocations
direct by the RIRs, it is important to ensure that the NIRs will be on a
truly multi-stakeholder model, that too with symbolic Government
participation and non-ISP business participation.

Sivasubramanian M