[governance] IBSA - Tshwane Declaration

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 24 03:06:09 EDT 2011

On Friday 21 October 2011 05:02 PM, William Drake wrote:

> This is a barrier I wish we could somehow overcome.  As long
> as developing country intergovernmental efforts on EC and in the ITU
> appear to have intergovernmental control as their end game and the IGF
> is getting tactically linked to this as you noted, one imagines the
> TC, business, and a lot of governments will remain wedded to the fear
> that an IGF that does more than meet and chat once a year would
> necessarily get leveraged to advance that agenda.  And CS proponents
> of more intensive, structured and "outcome" oriented dialogues will
> remain isolated and frustrated.  If intergovernmental control could be
> taken off the table, at least outside the ITU, that might help to make
> "IGF improvements" a less divisive topic.  So again, if indeed IBSA
> has shifted, it'd be great for them to say so.  And for more
> governments beyond Brazil and a distinct minority of other G77 to
> demonstrate that they take the IGF process seriously and will engage
> even if it doesn't offer a path to intergovernmental control.

This is another myth that a strong IGF will get used to pave the path to
inter-governmental control, and such myths appear very easily when the
agenda is to discredit developing countries. I will like to know how
this is possible to be done. The IGF is inherently multistakeholder. And
it is open, which means that it will always be crowded by those with
better means, as we have seen it to be. With an IGF full of big
delegations from developed counties, and so many other stakeholders,
who, till now, have largely played as good allies of the developed
countries, pray, how can a handful of developing countries pull out an
inter-governmental rabbit out of the hat at the IGF... This is the
height of convenient imagination.  It one just wants to run with the
status quo, one can come with a thousand self serving explanations.
Which new institutional model does not have one or other possible risk?

As Marilia suggests, with the meeting of WG on IGF improvements coming
up, it is time for the civil society to stand up and say if they are for
a stronger and more purposive IGF or not. My submission is that anyone
not ready to make the necessary changes in the IGF status quo is the one
really against multi-stakeholder policy making. And in this regard, the
clearest proposals on the table for strong and specific changes to the
IGF for strengthening it as a multistakeholder policy influencing body
(other than the distracting humdrum kind of proposals, like 'lets
improve the IGF website') are by IBSA countries (India proposal
supported by others).

In fact, in forwarding such bold proposals for developing very
significant channels of rather authoritative multistakeholder influence
on global  Internet related policy making through an IGF with some
teeth, it is the IBSA countries that are going out on one limb, beyond
their traditional positions whereby they have been (too) cautious of the
kind of geo-political imbalance that can be caused by an overwhelming
presence of 'other stakeholders', that in their views have largely
weighed in on the side of developed countries, especially in the IG arena.

Parminder