[governance] IBSA - Tshwane Declaration

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 24 02:54:23 EDT 2011

On Friday 21 October 2011 05:02 PM, William Drake wrote:

> Too much to hope for?
>
> Bill
>
>  If intergovernmental control could be taken off the table, at least
> outside the ITU, that might help to make "IGF improvements" a less
> divisive topic.

One important point about the Rio recs is that it was the first time the
IBSA countries moved from the demand for 'an existing or a new UN based
agency' (as called for in Dec 2010 UNDESA consultation and July 2011
ECOSOC meeting) to calling for a 'new agency' . IBSA thus did show the
eagerness to look at new institutional options more in keeping with the
present situation than sticking to ITU. It is unfortunate that all
critics failed to take notice of this important devleopment, which I
must say is not easy to sustain unless the few devleoping countries that
are ready to stick their neck out for such new possibilities get the
right kind of support. There is every likelihood that we will slip into
the default ITU position. It is but obvious that some place has to look
into the innumerable Internet related global public policy issues that
keep cropping up. And, sorry, it cant be OECD for the developing
countries, whether the global civil society engaged in the IG arena is
sensitive to this basic democratic proposition or not.

In this regard I also refer to Bill's earlier email of last Fridat
whereby the ITU hold over taking charge of the global Internet related
policy space is getting strengthened. I also noticed in the presentation
of ITU head to the IGF that ITU has bene creeping into areas beyond hard
infrastructure or even security to content related issues, Such a
creeping acquisition will continue unless we are able to come up with
credible alternative global institutional option.

I can assure you all people of best intentions that are being completely
unsympathetic to IBSA countries' effort to move things along towards a
more democratic and public interest oriented global IG regime that it
wont hold water just to tell IBSA or other developing countries to shut
up, and bear with powerful countries and global corporates unilaterally
setting the new global techno-social order. If Rio recs has problems -
and I think it has significant issues (which I will discuss separately)
- let us say so. Say this is wrong,and instead we should do this. Say
that we are dissatisfied with existing IG regime, and this is the manner
in which we think it can be made more democratic and participative. This
is how the civil society can have an active and strong voice and
influence, and that, this is the model of global Internet related policy
development that we suggest.

parminder