[governance] Re: IANA contract to be opened for competitive bidding on November 4

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Oct 23 19:14:38 EDT 2011

But by implication...not so ok to be based in say Guam, or U.S. Virgin Islands.

Anyway, my 2 cents:

ICANN need not be afraid, very afraid - but yeah stripping IANA function out of ICANN could indeed happen.  That's what putting something out for competitive bid means.

Since under U.S law, credible bids MUST be considered, and further if credible bids are rejected, there have to be clearly explained reasons given why one bid was selected as superior.

But that scenario only unfolds IF: 1) a credible alternate bid is put forward, AND 2) ICANN continues to fail to read transparency tea leaves, when it submits a presumably humble, efficient/technocratic (and fully transparent) bid to retain IANA function.

Then, even if losing bidders sue, as often happens (less likely for zero $ contracts admittedly than $billion + procurements) Asst Secretary is not that annoyed at being taken to court for awarding a zero $ contract to the incumbent. Even if rest of world....still is.

Lee