[governance] I think we debated this ~7 years ago, but it seems to have come up again...

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 14:39:37 EDT 2011

Hello MacTim,

It is a very bad idea in its present form. It is difficult to see this as
anything other than a move to control the Internet by an anachronistic
proposal to nationalize the allocation of Internet address space. The idea
of 'country-wide' and  'contiguous' allocation together with the implied
idea of 'All IPv6 addresses ONLY through the National Internet
Registry',  would
result in the unintended(?) outcome of reducing the Internet from being a
free, open and universal medium to a Government controlled communication
platform defined by national boundaries.

It is likely that this is another proposal that is a reflection of wrong
inputs to the policy makers. The ISPs do not require any form of Government
help in the process of obtaining address blocks from the Regional Internet
Registry. They need to be free, and continue with the status quo of
uncomplicated processes in obtaining address blocks. With the relatively
unlimited IPv6 space, the RIR processes could actually become a lot less
complicated.

Static IPv4 addresses have been expensive for the end-user in India, hope
this will not be case with IPv6 address, on the present model of RIR - ISP
relationship, free of Government mediation. With continued freedom, could we
hope that the ISPs in India make it an automatic process for the end-users
to obtain static IPv6 user blocks for connecting their computers and other
devices, without bundling IP addresses with expensive bandwidth subscription
plans?

Sivasubramanian M
India.