[governance] Efficient Spectrum Management + Efficient Networks = Access ?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Oct 20 09:51:03 EDT 2011

In message
<CAJwbTiB_K5UvUf0AcYLXxpavfWOpTJAxyJ7J3=WQvs6FrRNVdA at mail.gmail.com>, at
01:36:19 on Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> writes
>Article interesting on Mobile Broadband Spectrum Shortage requires
>immediate action,
>see: http://www.iccwbo.org/policy/ebitt/index.html?id=46201 It's
>relevance to internet governance is that Spectrum is a factor in terms
>of access for consumers etc

I was at a meeting in UK Parliament last week where the mobile networks
admitted (for the UK at least) that available spectrum and base-station
rollout were limiting factors in the ability to provide
multi-gigabyte-per-month mobile Internet access to subscribers.

And that 4G wasn't going to cure it, merely paper over the cracks for a
few years. The solution seemed to be handing off traffic to wifi points
(with a subscription included with your mobile) whenever possible.

Only one of the four networks has a product which does that, yet.

The governance question is perhaps: does freedom of expression *require*
that everyone (and I do mean everyone, on average) downloads a gigabyte
of YouTube to their mobile every month, or is a few tens of megabytes of
email and website browsing sufficient to qualify for that?
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org