[governance] US requests China website censoring details

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Oct 20 07:01:19 EDT 2011

Hi Hong

On Oct 20, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Hong Xue wrote:

> Hi, Bill, very interesting discussion. It's been quite a lot of discussions on whether filtering/denial of access to certain online locations constitute TBT in WTO. I recently raised this issue at UNESCAP trade facilitation forum and discussed with a group of people from WTO and UNECE. The basic consensus is that technical barriers to trade is merely for trade for (physical) goods, not service.

Yes, the trade facilitation discussion on TBT focuses more on the material world---customs and related exciting stuff.  But I don't think the argument being made is that censoring sites is a TBT or a matter of  trade facilitation.

> As you know, WTO is still pretty messy on how to categorize e-commerce in the dichotomy. Basically it depends largely on the actual "subject matters" of the transaction.
> However and most unfortunately, no agreement can be reached on "digital things"  (well okay under copyright, such as downloading via itune).

Messy indeed.  A main polarity has been between the EU and US.  The EU has argued that "digital things" must be classified as services and under the GATS for various reasons, ontological as well as consistency with its single market agenda, its exclusion of audio-visual services from its liberalization commitments in the Uruguay Round, privacy protection, and ultimately because GATS disciplines are weaker and more flexible than GATT's.  The US has inclined toward the arguments from the software & other content industries that it doesn't matter if one ships across a border in shrink wrap or in bits if the things function like goods.  A colleague and I did a piece over a decade ago arguing that negotiators should define clear criteria differentiating goods from services rather than having dispute settlement panels legislate this, and that products delivered electronically should be considered goods if they are locally stored and transferable between buyers (that is if their function and contractual value become independent from the intervention of the supplier at the time of transaction).  But probably we're drifting off topic for this list...

> I personally tend to deem them services, which cannot be subject to trade restriction categories. The openness for service trade, such as telecom, is very much subject to each country's specific commitments made through negotiation.

Not sure i understand the first sentence, but as stated I agree with the second.

Cheers

Bill