[governance] IBSA - Tshwane Declaration

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 12:28:14 EDT 2011

Hello Pranesh,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org>wrote:

> Here's the relevant bit from the Tshwane Declaration.
>
> # Internet Governance
> 52. The Leaders reaffirmed their commitment to working together towards a
> people-centered, inclusive and development-oriented Information Society and
> their agreement to continue to coordinate positions for the World Summit on
> Information Society (WSIS) follow-up mechanisms, as well as in the other
> fora and organizations related to the Information Society and Information
> and Communication Technologies (ICTs).

# This summit is attended by the highest level of the Governments, from
India, the Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh has attended this summit. The
declaration that has emerged sounds positive and appears to be an
improvement over the previous draft that has been the cause for much
contention within the Internet Governance Community.

# However the wording of the declaration is "work together towards a people
centered, inclusive Information Society"  -  there is no explicit reference
to the 'multi-stakeholder model'.  Work towards a people centered society,
as Governments (alone) or together [with other stakeholders] on a
[mutli-stakeholder model]?  After all the debate in the mailing lists and at
the IGF that the Governments would certainly have taken note of, the wording
is still  elusive on commitment to the mutli-stakeholder model. Though the
wording includes 'inclusive', the reference is not explicit on the
mutli-stakeholder model.

> 53. The Leaders expressed their satisfaction with the ongoing work in this
> arena; recognized the role of the Internet as a catalyst for economic and
> social progress;

# Recognized the role of Internet, but no recognition of the progress made
in the area of Internet Governance process ?

> and emphasized its potential to enhance IBSA’s profile as a key global
> player.

# Yes, IBSA could emerge as a key player. As a person from India, I am
inspired by India's leadership in the Non-Aligned movement in the past, and
feel that India could work to bring together the unrepresented perspectives
on Internet Governance. This India could do from the IBSA base, beginning
with its present three member nations, in a non-confrontationistic manner
characteristic of India.

The leaders reaffirmed the IBSA framework agreement for Cooperation on the
> Information Society adopted on September 13, 2006 and recalled the
> commitments made in the Geneva Declaration of Principles and the Tunis
> Agenda with regard to Enhanced Cooperation.

# It is positive the declaration has drawn attention to "Enhanced
Cooperation".

> 54. The Leaders highlighted the importance of building a wide political
> coalition at the international level for making the global internet
> governance regime as multilateral, democratic and transparent as provided by
> the WSIS.

# Here it goes again.  "Global Internet Governance regime" as
"multillateral" as provided by WSIS ?   Is there a transcription error here?
 I hope that this is an unintended transcription error.

# If IBSA emerges as a "key global player" it would be great to see it
emerge as a "key global payer" with an unambiguous commitment to
multi-stakeholder participation.

> In this context, they reiterated the urgent need to operationalise the
> process of

‘Enhanced Cooperation’ mandated by the Tunis Agenda and recalled, with
> satisfaction, the fruitful coordination amongst IBSA countries in the
> deliberations on ‘Enhanced Cooperation’ in the UN Commission on Science and
> Technology for Development (CSTD) and in the UN Secretary-General’s Open
> Consultations held in December 2010. The leaders took note of the
> recommendations of the IBSA Workshop on Global Internet Governance convened
> in Rio de Janeiro on 1-2 September 2011 and resolved to jointly undertake
> necessary follow-up action.
> 55. The Leaders emphasized Internet Governance as a key strategic area that
> requires close collaboration and concrete action.

# "close collaboration" [ among the different stakeholders ] ?

> In this context, it recommended the establishment of an IBSA Internet
> Governance and Development Observatory that should be tasked to monitor
> developments on global Internet Governance and provide regular updates and
> analyses from the perspective of developing countries.

#  I hope that the Governments take care to avoid bad advice if any.

Sivasubramanian M.
India.