[governance] WG: Russian Federation increases financial contribution to ITU

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat Oct 15 06:08:44 EDT 2011

One has to assume this is a strategic decision that will be leveraged later, that's how it works.  I was sole CS person on the US delegation to the 1997 World Telecom Policy Forum where the big issues were the WTO's new basic telecom agreement and the pressures eroding the accounting and settlements system from which many PTTs were making billions via above-cost rates.  The head of the Japanese delegation got up and pledged a pot of money to help developing country PTTs make a soft landing transition, to great applause.  Soon thereafter he was elected Secretary General, and spent two terms campaigning for ITU control of the Internet. Putin recently met with SG Toure, and now there's this.  I don't know if any of their more visible participants are eyeing leadership posts for the next election cycle, but the Russians do have proposals on the table seeking to expand ITU regulatory authority viz. the Internet and related issues, and they undoubtedly would like a nice voting bloc behind them.

Which raises again the question of whether there's any way a new UN body, e.g. as envisioned by the IBSA proposal, could be insulated from the sort of vote buying & trading dynamics that pervade other UN processes, what that could mean for the Internet, etc…?

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org