[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 07:59:12 EDT 2011

Dear Rony and all,

First, let's not mix-up topics. This thread began about Enhanced
cooperation. Not we are talking about IGF improvements. Two related, but
different things.

With regards to IGF improvements, I really think we should avoid a
false-dichtomy: binding X non biding IGF. There is no one in the Working
Group on IGF improvements (or even here on the list, as far as I could
notice) that would like to change the nature of the IGF in order for it to
make decisions.

What is being argued, briefly is:

1 - The outputs currently produced by the IGF (summary of the chair,
summaries by workshop organizers, IGF book) are valuable. However, they do
not serve as input for policy-making bodies, especially on the global level
 (ITU, UNESCO, WIPO, OECD, etc). Honestly, how many of us have stopped to
read workshop summaries?

2 - Because of that, many actors are proposing that the IGF produces more
concrete outcomes: that we map policy options (plural) that emerge from our
discussions. They should represent different views on an issue, but they
should also help to tackle a policy-problem by pointing out possible ways to
move forward. We have already started to move on that direction, when we
decided that main-sessions and workshops should be organized around
questions. These questions help us to stay focused on the problem and to
arrive in possible answers (policy options) for it.

3 - Improve communication: cluster and communicate the results of our
discussions (policy-options) to relevant bodies. Request for comments from
their side.

Given the fact the the meeting of the working group on IGF improvements is
coming soon, it would be great it we could debate proposals that really are
on the table. Please, let's not waste any more time with biding x
non-binding IGF.

For those who would like to have more information about the working group on
improvements, there is a website where all information is archived:
http://www.unctad.info/en/CstdWG/

I would also recommend reading the proposal that has been advanced by India,
since it is very comprehensive on the issue of outcomes. It is a good
starting point for debate. You may want to see, especially, the annex that
summarizes the main points in the document:
http://www.unctad.info/upload/CSTD-IGF/Contributions/M1/India.pdf

Best wishes,
MarĂ­lia

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 6:20 AM, <KovenRonald at aol.com> wrote:

> Dear All --
>
> I don't see why IGF participants should have problems with IGF being the
> ultimate meeting-place for those interested in the development of the
> Internet, without serving as a decison-making body.
>
> Nobody seems to worry that Davos has no decision-making functions. It is
> nevertheless seen as an immensely useful forum.
>
> Everyone knew from the start what the IGF ground rules were.
>

> Rony Koven, World Press Freedom Committee

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio

Center for Technology and Society