[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 00:23:13 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>  ** **

> The IGF is not supposed to produce outcomes, but is supposed to increase
> understanding.****
>
> * *
>
> *[Milton L Mueller] I don’t understand why this restriction applies to IGF
> but not, say, to IETF, ARIN, ICANN or APNIC. In other words, why can a bunch
> of people get together at an IETF meeting, come to an often difficult and
> painful agreement, and issue a standard, compliance with which is completely
> voluntary,*

Do you mean an RFC? BCP?  These need to be published via the RFC Series
Editor process.

> * and the IGF can’t do the same? IGF has no binding legal or regulatory
> authority, unlike ICANN, so what is to be feared from allowing it to issue
> recommendations, as the WGIG did?*

creeping intergovernmentalism I think is to be feared.  I think the national
IGF could produce some kind of recommendation to a national authority.
 Regional and global IGFs producing rec would be less useful IMO.

If the global IGF had a body (plenary?) that could come to a consensus on an
issue, then some states would want that pushed to the UN GA for
ratification, with all that entails.

I think you also have a healthy skepticism about this type of outcome.

> * *****
>
> ** **
>
> I think it incumbent upon those who want a new body or bodies to spell out
> EXACTLY in which areas there are gaps that need filling, how such a new body
> would fill those gaps (and only those gaps).****
>
> Clearly, a takeover of ICANN/IETF/W3C/RIRs, etc by a multilateral body (as
> proposed by IBSA) will not fill any gaps.  It's just a power play.****
>
> ** **
>
> *[Milton L Mueller] Clearly it would be. But any attempt to tell the
> fairly balanced group at IGF that they cannot come to an agreement and issue
> recommendations is also a power play by status quo groups to keep others out
> of the game.*

or an attempt to hew to the TA mandate.

--
Cheers,