[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

KovenRonald at aol.com KovenRonald at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 06:19:33 EDT 2011

Dear All --

I certainly agree that placing existing I'net bodies, including ICANN and
IGF under ITU is a bad idea whose time should not come.

The present setup is undoubtedly wanting from a theoretical viewpoint. But
the practical reality is that it works, more or less. It maintains the
distributed nature of the I'net.

Those who were offended by seeing VIP badges on the most junior
governmental representatives in Nairobi ain't seen nothing yet if the ITU were to take
the control for which it has been itching from the start.

I wonder whether those in the IG Caucus who have spoken for ITU have
actually seen it at work in Geneva and elsewhere. Its culture is distinctly
opposed to multistakeholderism and in favor of government regulation and corporate
influence.

The current setup is undoubtedly messy-looking on an organizational chart,
but a beautiful, clear chart will most likely lead to centralized control
with heavy influence of governments like China.

We should be wary of what I see as the esthetics of the policeman, calling
for everyone to stand to attention in the queue.We should learn not to be
frightened of and to live with ambiguity, instability and uncertainty -- also
amongst the principles operative in the universe.

Best regards, Rony Koven, World Press Freedom Committee