[governance] Formal IGC response to IBSA proposal ahead of 18-19 Summit?

parminder at itforchange.net parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 10 13:01:57 EDT 2011

> As it stands in draft, I have pulled out each of the substantive
> paragraphs of the IBSA summary and asked for the respondent to state how
> strongly they agree/disagree, and then I have asked "If there is no new
> body, then what else do you suggest" and given the following options
> (which draw on, but don't replicate, those from our EC submission), plus
> an "Other" option for respondents to enter their own suggestion:
> No institutional change, no global norm-setting in areas not covered by
> existing institutions, improved consultation in areas that are.
> Institutional improvements to the IGF, to enable it to produce policy
> options which policy makers (including at the national level) can use.
> Institutional change outside of the UN system, such as a voluntary network
> of policy makers that would consult with all stakeholders.
> More options are welcome...

This subject, first of all, deserves a rich and involved open discussion.
I am very uncomfortable about directly going to poll with such unclear,
and perhaps leading, set of options.  The topic is simply too important
and central to IGC's work for that. Perhaps civil society's biggest claim
to legitimacy is through the channels and processes of deliberative
democracy. Questions will have to be asked and answered about this
important issue in this forum before we proceed to taking a sense of the
IGC's collective opinion.

 I am still in Africa and dont much regular access to the Internet, but
very much look forward to an engaged discussion on this subject.

parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org