[governance] Re: Syria

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 21:40:10 EDT 2011

Some of you may recall that one of things that was discussed at the PrIGF
was citizen journalism. There are some interesting developments as far as
citizen journalism in Syria is concerned. Apparently, there are citizens who
are being hunted down via via facebook. Read about how citizen protesters
are turning to facebook to expose spies. The UN Human Rights office reports
deaths to have climbed to the 2900 mark, what is even more interesting is
the vetoes by the Chinese and Russian Federation.(See:
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=39955&Cr=syria&Cr1 )

The failed Security Resolution: SC/10403 due to the vetoes by China and
Russia. I first saw this story on the CKO daily which you can subscribe to:
http://paper.li/bevilwooding#!politics. [You can read the World/Politics
column]

Also see the abstentions when reading the failed resolution and it is the
message that it sends which is far more pronounced and profound. The
abstentions are notable. Europe is fortunate in most regards as you have in
my view a balanced approach to issues where everyone has a role but there
are countries such as Syria and many others who struggle with issues such as
privacy, freedom of speech etc. It is interesting to observe the evolution
of this phenomena of citizen journalism and the diverse approaches that
governments are responding to the situation whether it is the United
Kingdom, Iran or Syria.
<http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=39955&Cr=syria&Cr1>
*Death toll from Syrian violence tops 2,900, UN human rights office
says<http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=39955&Cr=syria&Cr1>
*
www.un.org
The death toll from months of violent clashes between Syrian Government
forces a...See More