[governance] Techdirt: Brazil drafts an anti-ACTA civil rights framework

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 18:25:48 EDT 2011

Thanks Marilia.

This is very interesting and was also the subject of much debate and
discussions on the Asia Pacific Regional IGF. The transcripts and
presentation are available via http://2011.rigf.asia/program.php see 16th
June, 2011 from 1400 and this was how the Plenary was described:

*Intellectual Property: ACTA **and Other Controversies** *
The Anti-Counterfeit Trade Agreement would be a treaty to put in place new
and higher international standards on intellectual property enforcement.
Apart from its obvious TRIPS-Plus nature and forceful use of ISPs as private
police, ACTA reveals a couple of critically important aspects that deserve
careful scrutiny from the perspective of Internet Governance. ACTA’s
plurilateral and closed negotiation process directly goes against the
multi-stakeholder and open and transparent participation principles
developed for Internet Governance. ACTA’s narrow focus on intellectual
property rights ignores human rights concerns, especially free speech and
access to the Internet, that are essential in the information society. ACTA
demonstrate the temptation to shift from the existing multilateral WIPO-WTO
regime to a more restricted and opaque system to enforce the private
exclusive rights on the global information network. In addition, other
domestic (such as US Bill “Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits
Act (COICA)”) or private (such as ICANN’s trademark measures in new gTLD
process) enforcement measures for intellectual property will exert
significant global impact. The session intends to have a vivid discussion on
all these interesting issues in the most populous and economic-booming
region of the world.

   - Mary Wong <http://2011.rigf.asia/bio/Mary%20Wong.pdf> (University of
   New Hampshire)
   - Goh Seow Hiong <http://2011.rigf.asia/bio/Cisco_SH_Goh_BIO.pdf>
    (CISCO)
   - Jordan Carter <http://2011.rigf.asia/bio/Jordan%20Carter.pdf>
    (InternetNZ)
   - Siew Kum Hong <http://2011.rigf.asia/bio/Siew%20Kum%20Hong.pdf> (Yahoo!
   Southeast Asia)
   - Lim Yee Fen <http://2011.rigf.asia/bio/Lim%20Yee%20Fen.pdf> (NTU)
   - William J. Drake <http://2011.rigf.asia/bio/William%20J%20Drake.pdf> (IPMZ
   University of Zurich)

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Marilia Maciel <mariliamaciel at gmail.com>wrote:

> Brazil Drafts An 'Anti-ACTA': A Civil Rights-Based Framework For The
> Internet from the *who's-leader-of-the-*free*-world-now?* dept
>
> One of the striking features of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement is
> that it is mainly being signed by Western/“developed” countries – with a
> few token players from other parts of the world to provide a fig-leaf of
> nominal inclusiveness<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110927/10504716112/us-eu-canada-japan-australia-others-to-sign-acta-this-weekend-despite-legal-concerns.shtml>.
> That's no accident: ACTA is the last-gasp attempt of the US and the EU to
> preserve their intellectual monopolies – copyright and patents, particularly
> drug patents – in a world where both are increasingly questioned.
>
> Much of the challenge to the old order is coming from the BRICS group of
> emerging countries – Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa – none of
> which has been involved in ACTA. Of those, the one in the vanguard of
> adopting innovative approaches to making knowledge widely accessible in the
> Internet age is Brazil.
>
> For example, the federal government has actively supported open source
> software<http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/open-enterprise/2011/08/should-we-adopt-the-brazilian-model-of-public-software/index.htm> by
> creating a Public Software Portal. The country has also been at the
> forefront of open content use <http://www.openbusiness.cc/brazil/>: just
> this week, the city of São Paulo specified that all educational materials
> produced for it must be released under the Creative Commons CC BY-NC-SA
> license<http://rea.net.br/2011/10/03/decreto-sobre-rea-em-vigor-em-sao-paulo/>
> .
>
> It's true that there have also been some mixed signals recently, notably the
> re-surfacing of the punitive “cybercrime bill”<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110826/00352915694/brazil-looks-to-criminalize-ripping-cd.shtml>,
> which Techdirt reported on a couple of months ago. But here's some positive
> news coming out of the country, in the shape of a draft of a bill for a
> civil rights-based framework for the Internet<http://infojustice.org/archives/5684>
> :
>
> **
> *
>
> The draft bill proposition for a Civil Right’s Based Framework for Internet
> in Brazil has just reached Congress. The English translation of this version
> is available here<http://www.a2kbrasil.org.br/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Marco-Civil-Ingle%CC%82s-pm.pdf>
> .
>
> *
>
> **
> *
>
> It is the result of an initiative from the Brazilian Ministry of Justice,
> in partnership with the Center for Technology and Society of the Getulio
> Vargas Foundation (CTS/FGV), to develop a collaborative online/offline
> [...]

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT
Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro
Cell: +679 998 2851