[governance] No funding for CS in next CSTD WG: what should we do?

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 13:28:14 EST 2011

Dear all,

The next meeting of the WG on IGF improvements has been scheduled for 11 to
13 January.
After a consultation with CSTD Secretariat, it seems that they are only
going to finance the participation of people from LDCs. On previous
meetings, CSTD funding was available for civil society representatives from
developing countries, which allowed Anriette, Parminder and myself to
participate.

If there is no alternative for funding, the full participation from civil
society will be reduced on a crucial moment of discussions. Due to the
level of interactivity among members and the highly political aspect of
discussions, I think that remote participation is not a satisfactory
solution on this case.

I come to the group to ask for guidance on what to do. Should CS as a group
approach CSTD? Do you have any idea about alternative sources of funding
that could guarantee CS participation?

Any thoughts would be welcome.
Best wishes,
MarĂ­lia