[governance] US v John Doe & Others [#RIRs #Botnets #IP Addresses #extraterritorial jurisdictional application]

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Nov 28 03:11:58 EST 2011

On 28.11.11 06:54, McTim wrote:
> In the developing world, we would be far better off Internet-wise if
> governments would focus on supply of reliable power instead of names
> and numbers
Short answer: It is cheaper to play games with names and numbers instead
of to lay cables and invest in operations.

It seems that government 'types' always try to take control over the
pieces they think are most 'important'. So that they can take control
'cheap'. They were advised by.. 'experts' that domain names and IP
addresses are the most critical aspects of Internet. ICANNs own
positioning also focuses on this idea and ICANN is known to want to play
with Governments.

But... Internet was designed to have no single point of failure. IP
addresses are just numbers. Domain names are just mnemonic labels for
people to remember instead of numbers. One good example with the names
is what let to the creation of ICANN: the "discovery" that Internet is
not limited to a single DNS root and the "discovery" that a number of
alternative roots did already exist and the "discovery" that it is
user's choice which one they will prefer --- which is entirely at the
hands of Internet users, because as I mentioned it already before, the
Internet is different from past communication networks: it's most
significant intelligence sits at the end nodes, not in the network.
Therefore, whatever end nodes (individual users trough their own
computers or other communication devices) decide, that is the Internet.

Which, by the way spells the recipe: in order to control the Internet,
you need to control the end-user equipment used to connect and use Internet.

Back to the RIRs -- historically, IP addresses were a 'give away'
resource. Anyone who wanted some, got it. Eventually, IANA found itself
dealing with all sorts of requestors, from weird places taking strange
languages and they wanted mediators. This is how RIRs were born. I still
remember the times, when RIPE NCC in Europe envisioned creation of
national, latter called "last resort" registries. These were actually
created, then decommissioned. Perhaps that was wise -- because otherwise
we would have had already 'national', that is, Government controlled
'public property' in the form of IP addresses and instead of (as it is
now), operators competing for IP address allocations, we would have had
Nations competing for IP address allocations. We will never know what
allocation policies would be developed, such as per-capita allocation,
or per GNP or per % contribution to the EU? :)

It follows from the allocation model, that the ultimately responsible
party is the end-user/ISP that was allocated that address space. RIRs
are just mediators. But the control/torment must flow the allocation
chain -- from IANA to the RIR to the LIR and ISP/end-user.

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org