[governance] Re: European Court of Justice [#Intellectual Property #ISP #Internet Filtering #Human Rights #Privacy]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 18:41:35 EST 2011

Actually the significance of this Judgment is in relation to how they dealt
with the prioritisation of rights, that is the rights if intellectual
property owners, the rights of ISPs to conduct their business freely and
the rights of consumers to privacy. "The injunction requiring installation
of the contested filtering system involve a systematic analysis of all
content [ISPs cannot afford this and at the end of the day, this cost would
be borne by customers somehow] and the collection and identification of
users' IP addresses from which unlawful content on the network is sent.
Those addresses are protected personal data because they allow those users
to be precisely identified". (Highlighted portion is mine)

The consideration in how the Judges arrived at their decision is on [para
52, 53] where there is no guarantee that lawful content would not be
blocked. After considering all the rights stemming from the Directives
listed in para 55, the courts held in favour of "privacy" of consumers that
is fundamental rights trumping when reading all of the Directives together.
Although the European Court of Justice recommended that harmonization take
place.