[governance] no regrets after doing this venture

Eric S Johnson crates at oneotaslopes.org
Tue Nov 22 06:33:40 EST 2011

What I’m curious about (sorry, not really governance-centric) is why it’s
always Yahoo accounts which get hacked in this way.

I mean, yes, it’s true that Yahoo’s the only one of the big three webmail
providers which doesn’t make it trivially easy to SSL one’s access (all
Gmail access is SSLed, and Hotmail users can choose, in their settings, to
“always use HTTPS”—though of course few do), but does that mean we suppose
the hackers have in-line access to our webmail traffic on the level of the
ISP? Or at a public wifi hotspot? Or in a cybercafé? But why Yahoo instead
of Hotmail?

Best,

Eric