[governance] Re: [IRP] Occupy The Digital Commons

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:13:01 EST 2011

Thomas, this is indeed an interesting identification of commons and
TLDs. During the last decade there was some movement around the issue
of Asia Commons through a conference held in Bangkok in 2006. I was
authoring the Asia Commons Learning Guide afterwards and can vaguely
recall a discussion around the commons and domain names.

I think this is a very interesting approach and being able to identify
this relationship within the sphere of Digital Commons is indeed an
important activity. This debate will always remain whether ICANN is
really working for the common good or is just an association of
registrars and registries (just kidding) but seriously, the new gtld
program brings along itself a great deal of hassle while is an
opportunity for innovation as well.

There is a very uneasy feeling across a diversity of groups around the
globe and there is a lot of gossip and whispering about parties
getting ready for hitting ICANN with a series of injunctions around
the issue of Community gTLDs etc. I've even learnt that there was
quite a debate in or around the GNSO about whether .nyc was a
commercial tld or a community tld and where does that stand at moment
is very unclear.

There will be new topics of politics in the new gtld space especially
around issues of city, regional and community tlds and there might
also be conflicting views across the broader spectrum of discussions
around the commons but this seems to be an interesting start.

I wonder if there is going to remote participation for this upcoming meeting?

Best

Fouad

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa