[governance] European Commission 'welcomes improvements in new IANA contract'

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Nov 15 08:45:18 EST 2011

In message <C6CBE7E2-E0DD-4A59-8A78-9C0AC1B682CF at digsys.bg>, at 14:11:07
on Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes

>> Even cctld redelegations are decided upon by the ICANN board.
>
>Everyone would have benefited if IANA behavior remained as originally
>designed and implemented, before ICANN was introduced in the game.

RFC1591 has Internic as the decision-making body, with "regional
registries [such as RIPE NCC and APNIC] enlisted to assist in the
administration of the DNS". So you'd propose that AfriNIC was involved
when considering if South Sudan should get a new cctld?

>The IANA guidelines, spelled in RFC1591 clearly state that IANA does
>not participate in "re-delegation".  In fact, it does not even lave
>such word (re-delegation) in there! That terminology was later designed
>by the "commissioner" types..

You seem to be implying that they forgot to allow for the possibility
that the "designated manager" might change?

But the rfc says:

      For any transfer of the designated manager trusteeship from one
      organization to another, the higher-level domain manager (the IANA
      in the case of top-level domains) must receive communications from
      both the old organization and the new organization that assure the
      IANA that the transfer in mutually agreed, and that the new
      organization understands its responsibilities.

Giving that process the name "re-delegation" doesn't seem to me to be
controversial.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org