[governance] Digital Agenda: Commission welcomes improvements in new IANA contract

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 07:38:39 EST 2011

How it is through another angle? How the IANA functions will be performed
and What will be the ICANN's remaining function.

IANA functions (A) were assigned to ICANN under a contract by DoC, whereas
the ICANN was bound to submit the performance report to DoC on monthly
basis.
However, (with the passage of time) ICANN started other operations/functions
B,C ... including its primary function A.
Now if the DoC assign the Contract of IANA Functions (A) to Contractor-2
(other than ICANN)

What will be the function of ICANN? Ans: Obviously ICANN will be performing
B, C ... functions
and
How the IANA Functions A will be performed,
1.	Either a formal request will be sent through DoC or on behalf of Doc
to Contractor-2 and/or
2.	Registry will contact Contractor-2 directly.

Here the function of ICANN's Involvement in standard operations & functions
will be reduced and most probably, ICANN will not be able to supervise the
root modification requests sending to the Contractor-2 unless if it is
specified in the contract with Registries (Registry Operators Contract to
send their request to ICANN for root modifications/update).

DoC active involvement will become increased as they have to verify &
validate the deliverable services delegated and are in stable operation.
The performance and progress will remain under the monitoring of DoC and
NTIA.

The new gTLDs will also require further study about the delegation process.

Thanks

Imran Ahmed Shah

     governance at lists.cpsr.org