[governance] From the Google Policy Blog

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 15 00:47:30 EST 2011

On Monday 14 November 2011 03:10 AM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
> Parminder,
>

>> Now, we of the global civil society have to make up our mind on this.>  Unfortunately, most people in the IG related civil society still live in a>  strong denial of this emerging global reality. It is surprising how many>  among the IG civil society themselves seem to have little problem with US>  taking the leading and defining role in shaping and enforcing this new>  emerging regime, as it evidently is.
>>
> What factors do you think are causing this misunderstanding?

Fouad,

One way to respond to your question is to speak of new class struggles
involving global tectonic shifts in class structure as a major aspect of
the emerging network society. For the first time, the economically
resurgent middle classes of the developing world are developing common
economic, cultural, social and, consequently, /political /interest to an
extent that that has perhaps begun to exceed their 'common-ness' with
their compatriot lower classes in their respective countries. This
global (and the globalist) middle class distrusts and hates nation based
political systems, as something that seeks to pull them down into some
kind of a common destiny with masses who do not seem to them to have
much of a future. Not anytime soon in any case, and they are in a hurry.
At the very least, they – the lower classes – are not really quite
/interesting/, as the global middle class is, but I suspect that the
major reason is economic interest, over which cultural, social etc
interests are being built. (Though the cultural attractions of a hyper
stimulant-seeking society may, to a good extent, be an independent
factor as well.)

This is bit ironical because the post-feudal professional/
business-based middle class in the (then colonised) developing countries
was born as a nationalist group with strong sentiment against
imperialism (to which they are today so fatally attracted). The lower
classes were too busy with eking out, what was certainly a meagre,
living to bother much about nationalist revolutions.

Anyway, back to the contemporary moment, this new global middle class is
unable to put its faith into traditional (or perhaps even any new)
political systems, for understandable reasons, They prefer to be led and
guided by the blind global economic/ market system, and to the extent
that it needs some basic minimum leadership and political direction
(even if mostly of a market-dynamism ensuring and enforcement kind) they
are not too averse to US and large corporates together providing this.
They do realize that this is not the best thing, but they see no other
option and therefore somewhat grudgingly accept it; because the
alternative is simply not acceptable to them. Governance, for them, is
largely reduced to a technical function, of which one sees so many
strong proofs in discussions on this list. They want to let themselves
loose from the shackles of politics at home; of which the agenda they
fear most is that they will have to share their wealth and prosperity
with the others. This is their escape to the developed world even
without their country needing to become developed. And they are able to
achieve this even without necessarily having to leave the shores of the
country of their, what may be called in this context as, accidental
habitation. A worthy network society phenomenon.

However, if I am to be more generous to people in the IG civil society,
and less into cynical-sounding structural analysis, my response to your
question may be that people here are just too afraid of a fear that they
can instinctively feel and understand – of governments taking control of
the Internet, and kind of killing the most exciting socio-cultural
phenomenon since a long long time, which would of course be such a pity,
to put it mildly. However, perhaps, the issue of how the phenomenon of
the Internet is able to skew distribution of economic and social well
being – not necessarily in a positive manner, what kind of structural
changes may be underway, and what kind of strategies are required to
confront the negative developments in this regard, may not
professionally be the foremost agenda among most civil society actors at
present involved with the IG arena. And, those civil society actors who
are otherwise most involved with such socio-economic struggles, do not
have the resources and time, and perhaps also the vision, to yet engage
with the IG arena.

While I have a proposed an economic interest and class based analysis
above, I do not think it impossible, or even unlikely, that ethics and
human values may still overwhelm narrow economic interests to stem the
tide of many current negative global trends. 'Occupy the wall street'
kind of social movements may well become a deep cultural phenomenon that
can force far reaching changes. After all, basic democratic, one-person
one-vote, based systems are still alive in much of the world, and
properly inspired and organized people can yet direct our common
destines in the right directions. That would be a worthy struggle to be
part of.

Meanwhile I greatly recommend this article on changing nature of civil
society action in the network age at
http://www.opendemocracy.net/5050/lisa-veneklasen/citizen-action-and-perverse-confluence-of-opposing-agendas?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_content=201210&utm_campaign=Nightly_2011-11-11%2005%3a30
<http://www.opendemocracy.net/5050/lisa-veneklasen/citizen-action-and-perverse-confluence-of-opposing-agendas>

Apologies for the long email, but I thought Fouad's question was
important, and it would be inappropriate for me to leave it unanswered
after I had suggested that there are structural issues about how much of
the IG civil society responds to the neo-imperialist agenda of the US
together with its digital mega corps.

Parminder