AW: [governance] Digital Agenda: Commission welcomes improvements in new IANA contract

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Nov 14 15:16:48 EST 2011

In message
<2DA93620FC07494C926D60C8E3C2F1A8D2C750 at server1.medienkomm.uni-halle.de>,
at 17:47:33 on Mon, 14 Nov 2011, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
<wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> writes

>there are much better provisions to ensure that the IANA contractor
>avoids conflicts of interest. These provisions will both avoid damage
>to credibility and, on substance, ensure decisions are impartial.

What decisions are these, other than "ICANN told us the TLD we are about
to add to the root is in the public interest, and we can't work out why
they think that".

I'm trying quite hard to imagine a situation where the IANA contract/
function is awarded to someone other than ICANN, not because I think it
might be, or should be, but the contract terms must make some sort of
sense in the eventuality that it is (otherwise the tendering is a sham).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org