[governance] ICANN Accountability and Transparency

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Nov 13 23:49:02 EST 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 9:37 PM, David Allen wrote:
>> So do you believe that the following report (including the completed actions to date) is not accurate, or for some reason does the implementation that has occurred not count?
>>
>> <http://www.icann.org/en/accountability/atrt-implementation-summary-24oct11-en.pdf>
>
> As to this additional question:
>
> The context here concerns - among others - sometimes-years of bottoms-up volunteer effort that is effectively ignored and, instead, preemptively overruled with staff decisions.
>
> While I am glad to have the link to the pdf, there is nothing there - that I can see - suggesting the core concern is ameliorated, or even broached for consideration.

I don't know if it addresses your "core concern" or not, but I take the report
(and the efforts represented in it) as affirmative evidence on the question of
whether some system weaknesses in accountability and transparency are
being corrected as a result of community feedback.

>>> There are system weaknesses that may be corrected with the transparent monitoring and review through the public feedback about the direct influence reflected on decisions of the external public services.
>>

>> _Long_ years - and years - of experience make clear that this most decidedly is not so.

Past experience can be (at best) a predictor of present behavior; such predictions
are only one data point to be considered (in addition to present day actions) when
judging whether the problem will continue on or whether the situation will improve.
I do believe we reference the same ideas and facts, but differ on the analysis and
therefore probable outcome.

/John