[governance] Re: Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .?? (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Sun Nov 13 13:52:41 EST 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:

> On 13/11/2011 18:37, David Allen wrote :
>>
>> As to ICANN volunteers, and staff:  Imagine ICANN volunteers who
>> have spent years, hard work and well done, only to find their work
>> summarily dismissed and ignored.  Those volunteers, and there are
>> plenty of them, 'burned out' - long ago.  Because ICANN did not
>> correct itself - not because of any 'criticism' here, obviously.
>> Staff, unfortunately, live with the aura of the organization from
>> which they come.
>>

> Burned out?
>
> http://www.atlarge.icann.org/
> You'll find 130+ At-Large Structures throughout the world, with
> volunteers who are all alive and well; volunteers who have done
> absolute wonders in engaging other volunteers in ICANN to improve
> processes and policy rather than engaging in blank criticism.
> Kind regards,
>
> Olivier
> --
> Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
> http://www.gih.com/ocl.html

Personally, I am acquainted with a number of such individuals
firsthand.  Direct, concrete, and entirely infuriating case histories
- decidedly not 'blank criticism.'  Occasionally, there are posts to
even this list (a list not so often hospitable to such posts ...) from
those who tried, and put in years, and found that - though they
followed all the rules - staff decisions overruled when it mattered.

Whether they choose to speak now and post here will be their choice.
I leave that to them.

A good bit more to the point:  Ignoring that history, and ignoring the
future implications for all those who now would energetically engage -
if their efforts are similarly dashed, because the culture does not
change, means only pushing the can down the road, to the next reckoning.

Similar regards,  David