[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .?? (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 03:30:40 EST 2011

> About the restriction against any 2-char that resembles ASCII characters - this
> has to do with the history of how country-codes are decided upon. That is,
> via the ISO list. It may not be a very useful restriction, but a new ICANN
> process should not be against an already existing process. If this is to changed
> then an agreement must be made with ISO that ICANN can use such 2-char
> combinations and that ISO is not delegating them in the future.
>
> That may be more logically, but until this has been decided upon I really see
> no issue with ICANN having that limitation. I could never be certain, but I
> would guess the conversation on this list would have been completely
> different if an ICANN process would cause issues for example for the ISO list
> and their future implementations on that list.
>
> Tina

[IAS:] ICANN process for TLDs was not dependent to the list of 2-char combination managed by ISO to follow, however, it was only being used for a reference list as well as the World Bank list were the references to verify the UN approved Countries and Territories..
[IAS:] I have cited during early discussion that if ICANN is referring to ISO 3166 list, ISO has to add the columns of the 2-char, 3-char country codes/abbreviations in the official languages of the related country. If, this process could have been done as early the Fast Track program was launched or now for future reference before the launching of the application period for new gTLDs, then the issue could be resolved before the start of the domain of the ICANN. It mean that ICANN has nothing to do for the evaluation of the desired string, like in the case of the ccTLDs, it is not the business of the IANA or ICANN to ask that who is the Country and its String.

Imran

     governance at lists.cpsr.org