[governance] From the Google Policy Blog

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Nov 11 04:28:11 EST 2011

The document from top global/ US digital companies (enclosed for ready
ref.) calling for more predictable policy and legal frameworks for the
emerging global digital economy is a rather good one in many ways.

First of all, it rightly refrains from mixing social and human rights
issues with straight forward business and trade issues. It behoves us,
the human rights oriented civil society, also not to try to push human
rights (like FoE) as a trade/ business issue. They are not that at all.

Free digital trade over the internet, which is what this document solely
seeks, has no more a positive relationship with human rights (even of
FoE and communication rights variety) than free trade (including of
basic necessities related stuff like food grain) has a positive
relationship with alleviating poverty and hunger. The number of
instances and places where global free trade could actually be held
responsible for causing poverty and hunger is legend. (For instance, see
Clinton's apology on Haiti at
http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010031329/bill-clinton-apologizes-haiti-effects-free-trade
).

The framers of this document have done us a great favour in sticking to
what they are really talking about, and not use the fig leaf of human
rights and democracy. Lets not now beseech them to undo this good thing.
Lets focus on what and how human rights are in reality, and how most
human rights groups see it. Human rights precede a trade regime, they
dont follow from it. And the distinction is dangerous to lose sight of.

The second important point of the document is that it is basically
seeking some kind of formalising of a new global order of global
policies and laws for the emerging digital economy. The objective of the
document is stated as: Modernize international rules and practices
governing cross‐border flows of data and information technologies.

Now that even business has asked for a new set of global rules for the
emerging global society (after OECD, EU, US gov etc having asked for
some such things in their policy pronouncements over the last year), it
is perhaps time that global civil society, and IGC, may also agree that
such new global policies and rules are needed (McTim, I again am not
speaking of CIRs related issues). The document says clearly that

    "The movement of electronic information across borders is critical
    to businesses around the world, but the international rules
    governing flows of digital goods, services, data and infrastructure
    are incomplete........... Governments should work to resolve
    emerging legal and policy issues raised by cross‐border data flows."

In this respect, what is perhaps most interesting and also objectionable
about the document is how these global digital corps are blatantly
calling for the US to take up the central rule in developing the new
global policy paradigm (you see, it is much more about control over
ICANN and IANA ). The document is full of exhortations like

    "In response, the United States should drive the development and adoption of transparent and high‐quality international rules, norms and best practices on cross-border flows of digital data and technologies....."

    "The U.S. Government should seek international commitments on several key objectives, including......"

    "In addition, the U.S.
    Government should solicit ideas and begin to develop a plurilateral framework to set a new global gold‐standard....."

The document ends with the rather stern warning, "America’s trading
partners should understand that if they do not abide by their
international obligations, there will be consequences.".

This is the new global digital regime that the global/ US digital
industry has in mind. US, maybe with some help from other developed
countries, as the main driver of regime shaping, and then its enforcer
too. There is no reason provided here why US rather the UN, as the
comity of all nations, should take the lead/central role in shaping and
enforcing this new global regime. One can though easily surmise the reason.

Now, we of the global civil society have to make up our mind on this.
Unfortunately, most people in the IG related civil society still live in
a strong denial of this emerging global reality. It is surprising how
many among the IG civil society themselves seem to have little problem
with US taking the leading and defining role in shaping and enforcing
this new emerging regime, as it evidently is.

parminder