[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .?? (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Tina Dam tinadam at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 17:41:30 EST 2011

Hey Adam, no worries. It is good to discuss all ideas :)

You are correct that at the registration level it is easy for the
software to see the difference between ASCII and Cyrillic characters
and thereby avoid the registration. This means that the registration
restrictions are good to have, although, as far as I know, not
required by ICANN (maybe they should be, and maybe that is what you
are saying?).

The problem lies mostly at resolution, where if a user does not know
if it is Cyrillic or Latin characters then he/she might type in the
wrong one and go somewhere wrong.

I know a lot of people will say that this is very few and limited
cases and up to the registry to defend etc. I am not sure I agree, and
at the moment the issue has resulted in a careful adoption of IDNs at
the top-level, which I think is fine.

Just because we have problems today with strings being confusingly
similar does not mean we should expand upon that issue.

I am all up for trying to find solutions, and note that this is what
ICANN is trying to do to some extent in the variant groups, and
possible also the ccNSO in their policy development for the
"long-term" IDN ccTLD process.

Tina

     governance at lists.cpsr.org