[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .?? (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Nov 8 07:44:26 EST 2011

Tina, hi.

Have to admit to a very weak understanding of
IDN, character sets, codes, etc.  And as you
noticed I didn't think particularly hard about my
note before sending, if I had I wouldn't have
mentioned third level :-)

>Hi Adam, for illustration purposes, can you tell me if the attached is
>ASCII (Latin characters) or if they are from another alphabet?

I can't tell the difference.

I'm guessing (a technically ignorant guess) that
for a Bulgarian IDN ccTLD, registrars should be
able to recognize if the string someone was
trying to register was Cyrillic or not.  So, for
example, anything that contained ascii could
automatically be rejected.  Not correct? Not eyes
that recognize, but software.

So I am guessing it would be possible to ensure
no ascii string could be registered under IDN
.BG, and if that were so then the chance of
having a confusing string under either .BR or IDN
.BG would be remote.

Best,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org