[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 16:21:25 EST 2011

Tina and All,
Thanks for your fair comments and sharing information and deep suggestions.

Please find my comments here under:

[IAS:] I do not agree with the following problem (which is given as example in the article):
".....One specific example of this is paypal.com, where the “a”‘s are Cyrillic characters and the rest are Latin letters. This address is visually the same as paypal.com (all in Latin letters), but physically, to the computer, these are two different addresses. This is damaging the uniqueness principle of the DNS – probably the most important principle of the DNS and what makes it work in a stable manner."

[IAS:] Because this example state a mix IDN+ASCI(Latin) letters, used with in word. This is neither a DNS Poisoning nor DNS Stability issue. Because the if a visual reader of any of its state, will use only ASCI (Latin) letters to type the domain name, even some one is able to register, host or advertise this mix-languages word. There is common reason to use. However, as visual confusability or similarity for phishing attacks is an email system breakdown or failure and that is a separate issue, which is still open, and beyond the Fast Track Implementation process.

> I can say that I fully agree with an initial, careful approach, that then can be
> expanded later on if it turns out it was too restrictive.
> See more below on future developments.
>
> However, and unfortunately the limitations means that not all countries can
> (i) participate in the process, e.g. countries where the official languages are
> based on Latin, and/or (ii) get their first choice or preferred string as an
> Internationalized ccTLD.
>
> But, it was agreed in the community that it was better to allow a limited set
> of Internationalized ccTLDs to move forward and be delegated, than force
> those where no questions or issues remained to wait until a solution was
> available for all.
>
> Of options looking forward I see several. Again, I would not claim that either
> are applicable or desired by any country, but simply listing them for your
> reference.
>
> 1) If the preferred string, or first choice was not available for delegation
> through Fast Track, then select the second choice instead.
> I would probably make that a strong recommendation because a) it results in
> a quick delivery of an Internationalized ccTLD, and b) it avoid any conflicts or
> contentions against new gTLDs down the road.
>
> A country could for example decide to get the entire country name as
> Internationalized ccTLD. Some countries have already done so.
[IAS:] This decision is right in some cases where the meaningful abbreviation is not possible, Bulgaria has two options two letters (.bg) “.Бг” to three letters (.bgr) “.Блг”:
===============================
Ref: [http://www.idnnews.com/?p=9809], http://www.circleid.com/posts/scene_behind_the_screen_of_idn_cctlds/
PROS: Egypt (Misr مصر), UAE (Emarat امارات) and Al-Saudiah السعودية did not have shorter meaningful abbreviations in their Native Languages (Arabic), so, they got benefit to obtain meaningful abbreviations for IDN ccTLD.

CONS: However, in my own country, in Pakistan, Public (community) may lose the sharp and smart choice of appropriate IDN ccTLD i.e. “پاک.” (PAK). Instead of getting benefit of the option of removal of two characters limitation, Pakistan will be in huge loss by applying for a longer and full name script “پاکستان.” (PAKISTAN) in Urdu Language. Every user of this new mechanism will have to type 4 extra letters to browse پاکستان.IDN-URL” or to send email onto user at IDN.IDN (such as عمران۔شاہ@اردو۔پاکستان). "
==============================

> 2) Working with the ccNSO on their policy development process for the
> "long-term policy for Internationalized ccTLDs". This is the policy that is
> intended to be implemented as a replacement or update of the Fast Track
> Process. One obvious area would be to review the existing restrictions to see
> if any of these were too restrictive and could be eased. (note: I am not saying
> that they are or they should, it would require an analysis).
[IAS:] We say welcome to any long-term policy for IDN ccTLDs but we all should review the policies, and if we think that there is something wrong or something missing in it our responsibility to indicate and propose right solution, being a Technical community and Internet Governance supporters. And there should be always a margin for modification and long-term policy should keep updating, otherwise, long-term policy will become an old policy after  one or two years like Fast Track Policy.

> I hope that is helpful and I am happy to answer any questions I can.
[IAS:]
We have discussed three option up to now:
A.	Convince Applicant to revise application for three letters (.bgr) “.Блг” or full name (.Bulgaria) .Блгария
B.	To draft a letter from IGC members to ICANN Board + ALAC + ccNSO/GNSO with IGC recommendations to re-evaluate “.Бг” issue, and to formulize the options for appeal and/or flexibility in Fast Track Program.
C.	Applicant should write to the Ombudsman (or IGC may also draft letter to Ombudsman, if consumes is developed)
D.	Applicant may seek the same string as gTLD program as there are wider provisioning about the IDN facility.

The answer to option A. is no from Bulgarian public and as well as their government (the applicant) since last one year and till yesterday.
Option C is also available with the applicant but he did not exercised this option yet.
Option D is a costly solution and has many additional formalities to fulfill e.g. IPV6, DNSSEC etc. And again if all pre-requisites + Costs are managed, what are the probabilities that next DNS Panel would not take this string same as before

So, what do you and other members say about to proceed on option B or A+C both as a collective efforts.

Thanking you and Best Regards

Imran Ahmed Shah

     governance at lists.cpsr.org