[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .б г (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Ernesto Majo ernesto at lacnic.net
Mon Nov 7 06:06:18 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg>
Sender: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 12:14:17
To: <governance at lists.cpsr.org>; Tina Dam<tinadam at gmail.com>
Cc: Imran Ahmed Shah<ias_pk at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .б
 г (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

On Nov 6, 2011, at 8:35 PM, Tina Dam wrote:
> 1) If the preferred string, or first choice was not available for
> delegation through Fast Track, then select the second choice instead.
> I would probably make that a strong recommendation because a) it
> results in a quick delivery of an Internationalized ccTLD, and b) it
> avoid any conflicts or contentions against new gTLDs down the road.
>
> A country could for example decide to get the entire country name as
> Internationalized ccTLD. Some countries have already done so.
>
> 2) Working with the ccNSO on their policy development process for the
> "long-term policy for Internationalized ccTLDs". This is the policy
> that is intended to be implemented as a replacement or update of the
> Fast Track Process. One obvious area would be to review the existing
> restrictions to see if any of these were too restrictive and could be
> eased. (note: I am not saying that they are or they should, it would
> require an analysis).

Tina,

We have discussed and beaten this to great details, but to be consistent, let me comment on this subject one more time:

1) When IDN Fast Track was launched (September 2009), there were various opinions in Bulgaria. There were groups, that wanted "any IDN TLD". Other groups, wanted .бг (and nothing else). Some of these groups tried to convince our Government to take their side (and choice). Instead, we supported the Government to make as wide as possible inquiry within Bulgaria as to what USERS want. The results are known. At that time, .бг was the preferred choice, but other choices were considered too.
Then, the application was made and subsequently put to halt with the opinion of the "confusability panel" (I went even that far to suggest in one of my presentations, that the issue is not "user confusion", but rather "expert confusion")
At that point, our Government initiated another round of consultations. Much more USERS responded and everybody had one single opinion: The IDN ccTLD for Bulgaria will be .бг

Therefore, nobody in Bulgaria is even looking at another IDN string. Apparently, the .българия string is reserved and it will NOT be sought for in the IDN Fast Track process. The Bulgarian society does not want "some IDN string".

The reason why the application was not for .българия initially is that those are abbreviations and this is not exactly an abbreviation. Further, it is widely accepted in Bulgaria, that the country's name abbreviation and cultural/language identification is "БГ".
By the way, if I was sending the application, I would have included a lot of community and cultural support for why/how people in Bulgaria consider БГ to be the proper choice.

There were many attempts, at different levels and by different entities to convince our Government to 'revise' their standing. But you need to understand that no sane Government is going to go against their people's wishes, that were clearly voiced.

2. We already participate in the ccNSO and other policy creation processes. This even predates the IDN Fast Track introduction. There is a long-term ccPDP in development and consideration, that will very likely assign (rather than approve) Bulgaria and Greece their preferred Internet identifiers in their own languages and scripts.
Our participation however is not "in order to convince somebody to permit Bulgaria to have .бг", but because we believe this is our duty as part of ICANN.

Tina, I hope you will not take this as a critic of some sort, but I want very much to make facts clear.

Daniel

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org