[governance] From the Google Policy Blog

Matthias C. Kettemann matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Sat Nov 5 17:51:24 EDT 2011

It's actually quite disappointing that the six-page principles outlining
"priorities for the business community" do not contain a single
reference to "human rights".

When the document refers to the need of establishing "international
commitments" on, inter alia, "expressly prohibit[ing] restrictions on
legitimate cross-border information flows", the narrow focus becomes
very much apparent. These commitments already largely exist: they are
called human rights.

Clearly, a business case can be (also) made for human rights diplomacy.
Relying on existing human rights law and calling states to account for
violations of information and communication freedoms is the shared
responsiblity of all stakeholders, including companies.

The business community has shown that it is sometimes not afraid to call
human rights by their name, as does for example the Global Network
Initiative.

Kind regards

Matthias