[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg)? - Recommendation

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 03:31:17 EDT 2011

My comments are as under quote “IAS:”.

Thanks, Imran

From: governance at lists.cpsr.org [mailto:governance at lists.cpsr.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Kalchev
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 01:16 PM
To: ias_pk at yahoo.com
Cc: governance at lists.cpsr.org; 'Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro'; 'Louis Pouzin (well)'; imran at igfpak.org
Subject: Re: [governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .бг (.bg)? - Recommendation

On 04.11.11 07:38, Imran Ahmed Shah wrote:

Dear Friends,

>>Context:

>>Actually, the visual resemblance of TLD string had not been studied thoroughly and precisely in early stages, when the ccTLDs were being allocated with ASCI codes (Latin Characters). That is why the 18 ccTLD script has confusing similarity in visual text with each other.

>Not exactly...
>The reason these strings have "similarity" problems is because, these strings are listed in an internationally accepted list of country codes. Those who accepted the list and the "possible confusion" are way, way larger and more important in this world than ICANN. In this sense, ICANNs stance on this matter is simply arrogant.

>The use of existing two letter country codes as ccTLD strings was a decision made long before ICANN existed and has never been disqualified. Apparently, such existing similarity, within the same (ASCII) script has not led to any instability for Internet nor impacted it's security.

IAS: I am also saying the same thing, in the early days, instability issues were not being the main focus comparing to the willingness allocation to ccTLD. Similarly, IANA neither focusing on the quality of service nor the consumer rights and assurance of the availability and accessibility that has become the need of the today. The solutions for such issues were being tackled along with the stages of the development as they arise. For example ICANN arranged the Agreements with ccTLD Registries.

>>However, this kind of study become the focus  of the DNS stability teams when the IDN ccTLDs were being introduced and they had to exercise their authority for the refusal, easily say, No. According the Fast Track they do not have liability and responsible to justify their decision or recommendations to the public.

>This is correct. The expert panel says: "We were given specific instructions by ICANN and for this given input, we are supposed to produce this output". ICANN says: "we did not make this decision. We gave the application to the stability panel and they said no".
>The specific "instructions" are kept secret. I could speculate that today's ICANN staff may not even know what they were.

IAS: You may never get the actual reason/ discussion that who gave which comments, both have shelter / coverage of the bylaws.

>>That is why, confusions are being developed among public and technical community trust on the transparent decision making process of the ICANN. Internet recognized by ASCI codes (Latin Characters) and simply Cyrillic .бг has resemblance with Latin .6r (digit six + r). I also underact that Bulgarians would not like leave the abbreviated string by selecting alternatively full name of the Country in Cyrillic Language script.

>It is interesting to note, that digits are not permitted as TLD names.

>It is also interesting to note, that until recently, everybody was talking about .бг and .br, now more and more talk about .бг and .6r.
Perhaps because we already pointed out that the UNICODE table of confusable characters do not list any match for the Latin 'r' and a Cyrillic character.

>>Review on Requirement Analysis:

>>Now, my question is with the Bulgarians Internet Community that do they really want to go for the cyrillic language script and feel much benefit out of it by having Cyrillic .бг in parallel to the English .bg then what is the solution? (because in Korea, the Korean Internet community do not feel much benefit and advantage to have domain names with IDN ccTLD with Korean Language). And I believe that the public and technical communities and ICANN are unaware with the future (upcoming) prospects and potential of the failures of IDN TLDs framework.

>During my talks with ICANN staff on the subject, I raised the point that one should look in perspective. In the past, it was viewed that IDN TLDs should not be similar to ASCII TLDs. >However, reality is that the Latin alphabet on which ASCII is based is actually an minority alphabet. The use of other alphabets is more significant and as Internet becomes more and more "internationalized" (which is rather poor choice of terminology, by the way), ASCII labels will have less and less importance. What is more, ICANNs own great new IDN gTLD initiative will spring a lot more IDN new TLDs than ASCII TLDs.
>So at some point things will be actually reversed and ASCII TLD applications will have to make sure they are not similar with some other script's characters. Why not Cyrillic... ;-)

>Some background:
>I am obviously with the BG ccTLD Registry. As such, in theory I should, according to some people, have no interest in supporting the development of an IDN ccTLD for Bulgaria. That is of course speculation. Cyrillic is deeply involved in the Bulgarian culture -- some even go that far to claim that Bulgaria is the originator of the Cyrillic script.
Further, the abbreviation "БГ" is how Bulgarians identify the country in our own language. There was no other Cyrillic abbreviation in use for that purpose, ever.

> [...]

>Later, when the applicant was informed of the expert panel opinion, there was a second pool made by the Government, with the special question "what OTHER string you prefer". The response was overwhelming, this time with much greater participation. The prevailing majority of answers were:

>- we want .бг.
>- if we are not going to get .бг, we do not want any IDN ccTLD.

>With this public opinion, it is understandable that our Government are not looking for any other option anymore.

>More specific on your question:

>It was always assumed (at least by Register.BG) that all delegations under a Cyrillic TLD will be in Cyrillic. This is the whole point to have a Cyrillic TLD: to be able to type the entire domain name in Cyrillic. You already can register IDN domain names under the ASCII BG, such as президент.bg (president.bg), but these are not extremely popular, primarily because everyone now knows that you can have IDN.IDN names and.. sort of wait for this to happen (ICANN to sour our their internal confusion).

>In respect of the pending application and eventual assignment of .бг, Register.BG has made a proposal to the Government, that should both TLDs be handled by the same registry, a form of 'bundling' may be appropriate, for example if one registers президент.бг they get президент.bg, subject to the applicable restrictions under BG of course: that is, you (at least under current rules) cannot have око.bg (око being in Cyrillic).

>It is also interesting to note, that for many years, registries that have implemented IDN registrations, restrict the possible labels so that no string confusable labels are possible with (say) Cyrillic and ASCII characters. But note: this only applies to exact character match, not to "possibly similarly looking in some font". It is sad this is not the policy at the root level as well.

IAS: Thank you for giving much detail, Fast Track ccTLD Application pre-requisite neither require nor consider public demand. However, just need that applicant (only Government) to show (some) public support. However, the matter of the consensus between the public and the government is necessary element to confront the decision about the Fast Track ccTLD refusal.

My above question “about the requirement analysis” was directly related to the understanding of the need of IDN ccLTD. There are two ways, either change the abbreviations from two letters (.bg) “.Бг” to three letters (.bgr) “.Блг” or leave the abbreviations a side and just opt the full name (.Bulgaria) .Блгария.

I think that tree letter option is not bad but the LOSS OF one (1) more letter has to bear. So, how to convince the ICANN to remain on the two letter application.

There is a way, if the well-wishers (community leaders) of the Bulgarian Nation think (and develop a consensus to speak one and same slogan) that “the complete name of the Bulgaria in Cyrillic language .България may not serve the purpose” or have the negative impact because every Internet User have to type 6 additional characters with each domain name for web browsing and for sending email, just for nothing.

Please think of it, discuss with some other technical community members in your country and give your answer, do you really need IDN ccTLD?

>>Recommended Solution:

>>In order to resolve this conflict I do not understand that appealing to ombudsman could resolve the conflict, because they provisioning allows to refuse. I would recommend that Internet Community and Internet Governance supporting organizations should write to the ICANN Board and requesting them to authorize ccNSO and GNSO with a mandate to develop a Working Group, and that working groups would address these issues and to sort out the way to compensate IDN TLDs applicant’s to promote Internationalized Domain Name System. And the allocation of the Cyrillic .бг string may be allowed with the recommendation of that specific working group to the board of ICANN.

>This has already happened. In a very ICANN-ish way...

>On the San Francisco ICANN meeting, when it became clear that not only the Bulgarian case is halted, but also the Greek application and also the EU IDN application in Bulgarian and Greek (Bulgarian and Greek as well as the Cyrillic and Greek alphabets are official within the EU and according to the "EU law" are to be fully supported). Then, a sub-working group was created under IDN ccPDP WG1 to produce suggestions to ICANN how to handle these cases.
That working group eventually reported at the Dakar ICANN meeting... on the EU case only, stating in effect (you will excuse my imprecise citation) "well... we found out that those strings are confusingly similar, but it appears that they are confusingly similar with one another (?). We also discussed the matter with EURid (the EU registry) and agree that as long as they register only Cyrillic names under the Cyrillic TLD and Greek names under the Greek TLD, everything is fine. Therefore we recommend that ICANN approves this application.."

>Double standard? Why the Bulgarian and Greek cases were not considered?

>Indeed, it may happen that the full IDN ccPDP process will permit Bulgaria to have .бг at some point in the future. This is somehow not dependent on ICANN or the 'expert panel' opinions.

>But then the question will remain: How come the .бг TLD was, let me cite from the 'expert panel' report:

>.. and, in the future it will be less confusable?

>Why was then Bulgaria delayed with it's Cyrillic TLD implementation and why was all this several years long attempt to undermine ICANNs credibility to the community?

>Finally, I would like to comment thus:

>If someone (ICANN in this case) is tasked with the heavy responsibility to make a decision in situation like this, effectively permitting or not a country's own language/script to be used and they are to consider the opinion of an expert panel, with whom they have a contract.. and it is apparent, that this opinion is accepted by practically no one, then a prudent one (ICANN) will simply seek the opinion of another expert panel, or two (to make easier choice). That would resolve any and all doubt. What is more, ICANN staff is required to do so according to the Fast Track Implementation Plan.

IAS:

As I wrote “I would recommend that Internet Community and Internet Governance supporting organizations should write to the ICANN Board”+

and you have explained that the previous panels and groups were not appropriate to discuss the .Bg issue in particular and have soft corner for other countries,+
as on the other thread Avri has agreed on need to formulate expert panel at ICANN and+

Ian and Sonigitu has also agreed that IGC CS should draft a letter in this regard.

I would suggest you to

1.        Re-evaluate the demand/requirement of IDN, and

2.       Re-think about the selection of the script  the “.Бг” / “.Блг” or .Блгария

Then give you feedback and we will initiate the drafting a letter to the Board, CEO and Chairman to formulate a new Expert Panel to address this issue on urgent basis.

>There are all kinds of theories and first hand knowledge why all this has happened.. but let's give ICANN chance to fix this stupid situation and clear their image, before these things go public.

>Daniel

Thanks and Regards

Imran Ahmed Shah

(on behalf of IGFPAK)