[governance] Reconciling Democracy & Multistakeholderism: Having a Voice vs. Having a Vote

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:13:45 EDT 2011

2011/11/3 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>

> this artificial disctincton between "voice" (for civil society, technical
> community and private sector) and "vote" (governments) in Internet
> Governance comes from an academic Ivory Tower.

I am not, have not been, and am not seeking to be employed or even present
in any "academic Ivory Tower."  Based on comments received and my own
intent, I had thought I expressed myself rather simply, especially
considering the complicated terrain of debates I was trying to distill into
more clarity.

In any event, Wolfgang, you are lucky to be as respected as you are.  This
explains why you report (below) feeling little difference between a
situation where you had a voice, and one with a vote.   The less one is
part of the necessarily narrow group of people who decisionmakers learn to
develop respect for based on expertise and like things, the more one is
like a child, who has a voice but not a vote.

Children have voices, but not votes.  Parents have voices too, and the only
votes.  This distinction is not "artificial" it is absolutely fundamental
to freedom and democracy.

> It depends very much from the circumstances and the concrete issue where
> the fine line between  between "voice" and "vote" can be drawn.

Sure, any intelligent person can think of hard cases, or line-drawing
questions.  The only words that can not be debated are the words of a
strongman dictator.  (But that's not because the words and ideas aren't
depending a lot on circumstances, distinctions, and line-drawing, just like
"voice" and "vote" is if and only if we imagine harder cases at the
margins.   Those always exist, in all languages.  Differences are ones of
degree.

People standing in line for a one minute chance to address a city council
have a voice, sort of, but no vote.  Surely it's better to sit silently on
the city council and suffer through the public comments, and be one of a
relatively small number of votes, is it not?

> The "one state one vote" system of the UN has its merits, but also it
> flaws. And there is a lot of space for improvement. In the UN General
> Assembly each member state, represented through its government, has a
> "vote". But I am questionning whether all those governments listen to the
> "voices" of their domestic civil society.

You should be more than simply "questioning" whether all governments listen
to their people.  Clearly, some do not.

The United Nations, itself as a corporate body, is not a "democracy."
Democracy can not be composed of non-human corporations, whether they be
government or municipal corporations or business corporations.

Again I find myself feeling I need to repeat what should be a fundamental
axiom: examples of corruption of an idea or system are not proof that the
idea or system is not workable on the whole.  If examples of corruption do
serve this purpose, I suggest we must then give up on the project of making
anti-criminal laws, because clearly these have been violated since before
the dawn of history, and it seems the violations will never fully cease.
Does it follow that criminal law as an entire enterprise is "questionable?"

The question should be, instead:  "If we add more of X, does it improve
things?"   Within one small sector of criminal law, it starts to be
arguable that when we add more anti-drug or Prohibition laws, we create
more crime and organized crime, so maybe we can consider giving up on that
small part of the criminal law.

If we add more Democracy, does it improve things?  The answer is clearly
yes.   Anything less than democracy, such as voting multistakeholderism,
means that certain humans get multiple voices and multiple votes (as
humans, as investors in several businesses, as officers, or etc) and other
humans get nothing.

The cutting edge MS models allow for token 'voice' and "Listening" programs
where they purport to listen to the little people.  It's like parents and
children, again.

Is the defense from MS supporters to be "I am a good parent" to the charge
from fellow adults that democracy is not being respected?

> I would have a lot of problems if the vote of the government of Zimbabwe
> becomes a decisive element in a voting about Internet Governance.

I know what you mean, and sympathize.  But the cause of world peace and
cooperation, and the need for negotiation, mean that we have to talk with
all parties and countries.  Making deals with, and according a certain
respect for even enemies, is called diplomacy, and it seems that's a good
part of what the UN is about, and rightly so.  Diplomacy with some
democratic principles respected in practice, some respected presently
mostly in theory, andsome democratic principles inapplicable because it's
an assocation of governments, not humans.  But still, excepting the
Security council and a couple other things, the UN is remarkably
*relatively* democratic considering the sovereignty of every member state.

>   India, obviously one of the largest democracies in the world, wants to
> get a veto-right in the UN Secueirty Council. Would this make the system
> more democratic?

Yes and no. It would bring India into the elite countries on the Security
Council, which is itself democratic. It gives India more power and a bigger
vote, but vis a vis every other country in the world it is not democratic.

> BTW, as a Nom-Com Chair under ICANN I had a "voice" but not a "vote". And
> this was good. So first ask what is at stake and then move to a
> differentiation between "voice" and "vote".

As I said above, the only reason having a voice but not a vote would be if
you were very respected, as I know you are.   Perhaps there's one other
example of voice without vote that is acceptable and that is if one is
extremely knowledgeable and persuasive and the voters are eager to be
sheep.  THen no vote is needed.  Otherwise, children have voices, and
parents have votes (and voices).

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1
Ishpeming, MI  49849