[governance] Draft resolution WSIS follow-up

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue May 31 03:29:59 EDT 2011

In message <61C0DEB6-A16C-42B4-9AC1-78B853993B89 at acm.org>, at 18:18:44
on Mon, 30 May 2011, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>> - IGF improvements will take, if successful, more probably until 2013
>>to take effect. It will be very stressing to materialize improvements
>>for 2012. However, the conitnuity in a status quo manner is granted.
>
>which means that any 'improvements' might be going into effect right
>around the time the clock starts for the next 5 year review.

Ongoing improvements to the logistics and meeting plan can be made as
the IGF continues to evolve and we all learn what "works and doesn't
work" from previous years.

Structural changes will need to wait for 'official' backing, and it's a
race because each meeting has started its planning by December. The 2012
meeting will (assuming no major surprises at ECOSOC and UN-GA this year)
will have to be run under the current framework.

Whoever steps up to organise the 2013 meeting will need to take account
of resolutions passed in the second half of 2012 to guide/'improve' the
format of the 2013 meeting.

But you are right, the 2014 meeting is where we'd expect the
second-round of 5yr review to begin.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org