[governance] G8 Deauville Declaration

Michael Leibrandt michael_leibrandt at web.de
Fri May 27 16:50:48 EDT 2011

Thanks Adam. Always worth reading G8 Declarations carefully, because quite a number of high-level people had worked on it for months, using diplomatic language in which those things left out are often the real message. My very first impressions:

„Governments, the private sector, users, and other stakeholders all have a role to play in creating an environment in which the Internet can flourish in a balanced manner.“

***Even more interesting than the order is the recognition of a 4th stakeholder group. Besides the users there is still a significant part of the society that is – for one reason or the other – not using the net but at the same being affected by the net (as pedestrians are in an automotive community...). Those people don't have a voice yet, and it therefore should be welcomed that the G8 made this statement.

„In Deauville in 2011, for the first time at Leaders’ level, we agreed, in the presence of some leaders of the Internet economy, on a number of key
principles, including freedom, respect for privacy and intellectual property, multi-stakeholder governance, cyber-security, and protection from crime, that underpin a strong and flourishing Internet.“

***The adoption of G8 Principles on Internet Governance together with key players of the business community is more than most observers expected and will definitely have an influence on the future IG debate.

„These principles, together with those of non-discrimination and fair competition, must continue to be an essential force behind its development.“

***This might be seen as a strong statement for Net Neutrality. Also mentioned further down.

„Their implementation must be included in a broader framework: that of respect for the rule of law, human rights and fundamental freedoms, the protection of
intellectual property rights, which inspire life in every democratic society for the benefit of all citizens. We strongly believe that freedom and security, transparency and respect for confidentiality, as well as the exercise of individual rights and responsibility have to be achieved simultaneously.“

***This seems to be an attempt to define what „public interest“ might be with regard to IG.

„In this respect, action from all governments is needed through national policies, but also through the promotion of international cooperation.“

***A strong believe that even in the global Internet age nation states have a role to play, but need to act hand in hand („all“). Quite similiar approach as, for example, in the field of tax evasion.

„The security of networks and services on the Internet is a multi-stakeholder issue.“

***So other issues are not a multi-stakeholder issue?

„Governments have a role to play, informed by a full range of stakeholders, in helping to develop norms of behaviour and common approaches in
the use of cyberspace.“

***Cleary defining a superior role for governments and a supporting role for others.

„As we support the multi-stakeholder model of Internet governance, we call upon all stakeholders to contribute to enhanced cooperation within and between all international fora dealing with the governance of the Internet. […] Governments have a key role to play in this model.“

***Again, „key role“ points to a superior role.

„We welcome the meeting of the e-G8 Forum which took place in Paris on 24 and 25 May, on the eve of our Summit and reaffirm our commitment to the kinds of
multi-stakeholder efforts that have been essential to the evolution of the Internet economy to date.“

***Sentence would have sounded even better without inserting „economy“ at the end, so that's not by accident...

„We look forward to the forthcoming opportunities to strengthen international
cooperation in all these areas, including the Internet Governance Forum scheduled next September in Nairobi and other relevant UN events, the OECD High Level Meeting on “The Internet Economy: Generating Innovation and Growth” scheduled next June in Paris, the London International Cyber Conference scheduled next November, and the Avignon Conference on Copyright scheduled next November, as positive steps in taking this important issue forward.“

***Full G8 endorsement for the IGF, but has to been seen in light of the statements above.

Michael