[governance] Help EFF's newest campaign

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Thu May 26 17:33:27 EDT 2011

Hi friends,

EFF is about to roll out a campaign to encourage organizations and
individuals to run Tor relays.  For those of you that don't know, Tor is
software and a network of volunteers worldwide that help people be
anonymous online by masking IP addresses.  Individuals (like many
bloggers in authoritarian regimes) need the Tor network to communicate
safely. Unfortunately, the people who need Tor the most are often not in
a position to run Tor relays and contribute to the Tor network. Those of
us who care deeply about online privacy can make a tangible impact by
participating in the Tor network.

EFF is reaching out to privacy and free speech organizations and asking
them to join us in helping to grow the Tor network.  We're hoping that
by working together as a movement, we can make a significant impact in
the size of the Tor network - and help people worldwide safeguard their
online privacy.

To participate, organizations need to set up a Tor relay. All relays
count, including exit nodes, bridges and middle nodes.  EFF has created
an instructional video on setting up a Tor relay and we're updating our
legal FAQ to provide a more detailed analysis about how U.S. law applies
to Tor. Check out the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jmj4bILqiY

Organizations that participate in our challenge will be thanked on our
social media accounts and promoted on our website.  We are emailing you
now because we'd like to give the human rights community a head-start.
  It's our hope that when we roll out this campaign next week, the
initial participants will be the many organizations in the human rights
community who are working hard to defend human rights on the Internet.

Please  contact Rainey Reitman, EFF Activism Director about this
campaign and please do not hesitate to ask her any questions about the
campaign. And, please do not promote this campaign out of this list
until we launch next week. Thanks!

Rainey's contact detail:

Rainey Reitman
Activism Director
415.436.9333 ext 140
Electronic Frontier Foundation
www.eff.org <http://www.eff.org>
454 Shotwell Street
San Francisco CA 94110

--
Katitza Rodriguez
International Rights Director
katitza at eff.org
katitza at datos-personales.org (personal email)

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and freedom of speech since 1990