AW: [governance] Comments on CSTD WG in IGF improvements, May 2011

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Tue May 24 08:23:08 EDT 2011

Adam:
I don't understand the reasoning behind the timeline, isn't a report required before March 2012?  (when will ECOSOC/GA need to think about the IGF again?)

Wolfgang:
Thsi discussion in the 2nd Committee of the UNGA starts early October 2011, that is just after the Nairobi meeting. My interpretation of Sha´s timeline is that he wants to see the results (success or failures) of the Nairobi meeting to feed the UNGA debate which has the final authority to make any decision about "improvement" with or without a report from CSTD/ECOSOC. Part of such a new UN Resolution could be also a new method to populate a MAG (or to constitute something else). Insofar, as I said in a previous mail, the "outstanding success of the Nairobi IGF" is extremely important. Such an "outstanding success" would demonstrate that the community is meanwhile in a position to manage an IGF process also without "guidance" from the UN member states and its bodies.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org