[governance] Towards Singapore

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon May 23 04:22:59 EDT 2011

Hi

On May 22, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Sooner or later that alternate root will get going.  The Russians and Chinese threatened several years ago to start separate root if they did not get their IDNs right away, and ICANN succumbed.  It is unfortunate that no social entrepreneur is standing in the wings nearly ready to spring out a well considered and operationally sound DNS replacement for what will only be seen as a moribund ICANN if Singapore ends up giving us Yet Another Delay.

I still would tend to expect it to come from governments > entrepreneurs, no?

On a somewhat related note: Bob Kahn was named an ITU Laureate at the 2010 WTISD, CNRI and ITU have entered into a cooperation agreement, and there is an ITU Handle System Testbed operated by its Corporate Strategy Division http://www.itu.int/osg/csd/emerging_trends/handle_system/itu_testbed.html.  I heard there was some sort of announcement about further steps during the WSIS Forum, but don't know the details.  Saw Bob at the US Mission's IG event Friday but forgot to ask about this.  At a minimum, maybe been a development to watch, need to get more info.

Also on the ITU, notable that it just signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime regarding cybercrime http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2011/17.aspx.

Best,

Bill