[governance] IGF plus IGC + only members list.

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon May 23 01:00:57 EDT 2011

On 23/05/11 12:18, McTim wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
>> list.  The archives of the parallel list could be restricted to its
>> members.  However for privacy reasons I would like to ask whether anyone
>> objects to being included on such a list?  Also, are there any concerns that
>> this would breach our charter (I don't think so, myself)?
> I think you would need consensus to take such an action, which I don't
> think you have at the moment

Without necessarily accepting that (IMHO consensus is required for
substantive things like issuing statements, not for internal procedural
things like creating mailing lists), I agree that there doesn't seem to
be enough support to warrant creating it yet.  But if we don't create
it, this shouldn't be on the ground of transparency.  Currently people
send sensitive posts to ad-hoc subsets of IGC members (such as past and
present coordinators) instead of to the list.  Having a closed list of
self-affirmed members would be more transparent than this.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups
that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent
and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member
organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
_www.consumersinternational.org <http://www.consumersinternational.org/>_
_Twitter @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't