AW: [governance] Civil Society Members in Geneva

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sun May 22 05:48:54 EDT 2011

Hello Wolfgang and all,

Anriette has been working on a statetement from CS supporting the
continuation of the CSTD WG. IGF improvements and WSIS review will be
discussed on Tuesday, so we should have news after that. CS is having an
informal dinner with representatives from the technical community and the
business sector on Monday night to chat about CSTD. I am really happy that
we will have the opportunity to do it.

So far, as long as we know, the only one to support extintion of the WG is
the United States. They sent a letter to CSTD saying that. You can access it
here:http://www.unctad.info/en/CstdWG/ (on the right side)

The members of CSTD bureau will meet tomorrow morning, before the
conference, to talk about proposals of resolutions. Europe will be proposing
one resolution about IGF improvement, but we dont know its exact content. I
heard their goal is not to let discussions in WG go completely to waste.
Europe has been supportive, and they (Hungary) backed me up when I
complained about lack of executive coordinator and chair for the IGF
process, during WSIS tacking stocks session.

I will be in the meeting, but not exactly as CS representative, because my
organization does not have ECOSOC status. I will be there invited by the
Brazilian delegation, so I am not sure about my possibility to intervene.
But Anriette will be there as APC, Katitza will be observing as EFF and we
heard Parminder will be here as well, but not sure.

Best,
Marília

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio