[governance] IGF plus IGC + only members list.

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Sat May 21 12:19:23 EDT 2011

Dear IGC members (plus other stakeholders in this list):

I want to inform civil society IGC members that only four civil society
MAG members were able to attend the last Open Consultation and MAG
meeting. The civil society MAG members were: Valeria Betancourt, Fouad
Bawja, Graciela Selaimen, and myself.

It is important to understand that four civil society MAG members are
not enough to allow civil society to effectively monitor and shape "all"
the main sessions for the next IGF. During the OC, we have requested the
IGF Secretariat to provide us with a better understanding of the current
list of civil society MAG members, and the need to fill out those civil
society slots in the MAG so we can keep the balance between all
stakeholders.

In this MAG meeting, we were able to cover between 3-4 sessions. In the
next days to come, we will be monitoring the other sessions (which will
not be able to monitor in-situ) to make sure civil society voice is
included. As a MAG member, my main concern is the SOP session. If you
want to send me a "private message" about the issues that you consider
should be discussed, please do so by sending an email to katitza at eff.org
Our main input for discussion is the February Open Consultation where
many of you (and other stakeholders) provided valuable comments, and we
will work hard to ensure that those suggestions are included.

I also would like to call attention to the fact that this list is open
to other stakeholders including public authorities, government
officials, technical community, and business sector representatives.
Therefore, members need to understand that MAG members have a very
difficult task to share strategies in a public list. Any public strategy
that we can share here, can always harm our collective efforts in spaces
where disclosing your strategy in advance is a big problem and can harm
our work.

I would like to ask the coordinators to create a list for IGC-only
members that is close to their members. In that way, civil society MAG
members will be able to provide a better report after the meeting.

All the best, Katitza

     governance at lists.cpsr.org