[governance] open standard for "facebook crowd" interactions

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri May 13 00:24:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> whatever happened to focusing on ACTUAL INTERNET GOVERNANCE
>> activities, instead of talking endlessly about shapes of tables for
>> potential IG bodies???
>
> Cool idea.
>
> How's the following for a topic?
>
> I think that it should be possible for me to interact with anyone who
> is "on facebook" and who wants to interact with me, without having to
> put my personal data onto the servers of a company that I don't trust
> at all, and which in addition is under the jurisdiction of a country
> whose legal system I trust much less than I trust the Swiss one.
>
> Now I'm not demanding that Facebook Inc. should go out business or
> that they'd have to "give away" copies of their software, just that
> there should be open interfaces allowing others to implement their own
> software to communicate with the "facebook crowd" while keeping their
> personal data on servers of their own choosing. (And analogously for
> other "social network" server based services.)

Those things already exist, and account (in part) for the success of
FB/Twitter/etc.  Isn't that the whole point of APIs?

from wikipedia:

More than 250,000 websites have integrated with Facebook Platform
More than 100 million Facebook users engage with Facebook on external
websites every month

That is why FB put Burson Marsteller on an anti-Google campaign
recently, Google was scraping FB data for its "Social Circle".

> I have no idea what would be a suitable forum for effectively
> addressing this topic.

It has already been addressed IMO,

If you want to interact with FB, you are free to do so, if not, then
don't (and build your own thing).

--
Cheers,

McTim