[governance] Privacy Flare-Up Prompts Facebook Meetings with Congress, Employees

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:04:36 EDT 2011

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/facebook-privacy-meeting/

Roughly 20% of Facebook users are from the US (based on 500,000,000 users)
and as a proportion Canadians are I believe, the largest users of Facebook
by overall national population.

If, as these folks in the US congress seem to think, there are issues of
privacy in the use of Facebook that might at some point warrant
legislative/regulatory intervention--what is the proper jurisdiction in
which that legislation/regulation should occur?

Where it has its legal registration, where the majority of its shareholders
reside, where it's the impacts of its behaviours are most widely experienced
and so on and so on?

Why should (can I expect) US Congressmen to act on my behalf to protect my
privacy as a Canadian using Facebook and what about all of the other
400,000,000 non-US users?

These, I think, are among the issues of Internet Governance for CS to be
addressing and not simply the issues, but more importantly what modalities
could/should be established to respond to these issues on behalf of all of
those impacted.

Mike

     governance at lists.cpsr.org