And G20? Re: [governance] Internet G8 meeting

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu May 12 09:51:08 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> On 12 May 2011, at 09:00, McTim wrote:
>

>> whatever happened to focusing on ACTUAL INTERNET GOVERNANCE
>> activities, instead of talking endlessly about shapes of tables for
>> potential IG bodies???
>

> The so called actual internet governance activities are also political affairs and also largely controlled by business interests.   And tell me, where is it written that these activities should have a monopoly, especially if that monopoly is rigged.

As Karl has so often pointed out, you can start your own root.

> Civil society needs to participate in any and all activities and needs to stand up to the business and government interests in all fora..  Are you suggesting that civil society leave certain venues only to business interests?

I am suggesting that this caucus spends all of its time and energy on
"stuff"  that makes zero (or near enough to zero) impact on the
Internet.

> I think civil society must participate in all of it and not limit itself to a few venues.

Agreed, but we focus on IGF (and now Gs 8 & 20) and not on processes
where actual policy is made.

--
Cheers,

McTim